Thursday is GURPSDay, and as of today, GURPSDay is about six months old. Oh, and it’s also my 15-year anniversary. That picture there to the right is probably from 2000 or 2001, when we got engaged. A long road and two children later, we’re still here, and I’m gaming more than ever, so something must have worked.
And something else worked too, because thanks to the mad programming skills and debugging savvy of the proprietor of RPG Jutsu, we finally got TBone’s GURPS Diner on the rolls. Turns out the site was rejecting the wget request, and Merlin did something to make our request for that data look nicer. I think the command was something like wget -whiskey -filetmignon.
But we got ’em all, and some new bloggers are on the list, including Martin Ralya and his Yore blog, as well as a feed to Shane Plays – he does podcasts. To celebrate, I’m giving you the last 25 posts for all the blogs on the list. So buckle up, because we’ve got 50 blogs now.
As always, if you’re interested in having your blog consolidated here, navigate over to The Instructions Page and drop me a line.
RogerBW’s Blog (Roger Bell-West)
RPG Jutsu (Merlin Avery)
Gaming Ballistic (Douglas Cole)
- GURPS Day Summary June 3 – June 9, 2016 (6/09/16)
- Aeon Campaign S2E9 – Trust and Betrayal (6/07/16) – In S2E9 of the Aeon Campaign, we complete the fight that we set up at the end of Episode 8, having taken it out from the populated area in the cafe and arranged to move it to a more friendly arena. By the end of the fight, we’ve captured and arrested three, including the primary, and turned two more to our side. Eamon and Yukio (PC and NPC ally) are badly injured.
- Reloading Press: .50 BMG (12.7x99mm) (6/06/16) – This installment of the Reloading Press brings you the legendary .50 BMG. Almost defining the genre of big-bore rifles and “I’ll take overpowered rifles for $200, Alex” in the hands of most PCs, these powerful cartridges can reach out for well over a mile and still penetrate pretty serious armor. Some of the longest and most accurate shots in the world have been taken with this platform.
- GURPS Day Summary May 27 – June 1, 2016 (6/02/16)
- Transcript: Hunter and PK talk After the End (6/02/16) – Thursday is GURPSDay, and a little bird provided me with this sweet, sweet transcript of the SJGamesLive interview of PK Levine by Hunter Shelburne, talking about After the End a lot, and GURPS in general a bit. It’s 10,000 words long, so there’s a lot there!
- Reloading Press: .600 Nitro Express (15.7x76mmR) (6/01/16) – The Reloading Presss brings you the monster .600NE (and briefly discusses it’s larger cousin, the .700NE). You can do more damage, more accurately, at higher rates, with lower platform cost with any number of modern weapons and chamberings. But you won’t be sporting a $150,000 rifle that is a work of art, either. So you make the call . . .
- Aeon Campaign S2E8 – Countdown to freedom (5/31/16) – In S2E8 of the GURPS Aeon campaign, we reap the benefits of last week’s plans. Our goal is to delay our quarry from finding out that the entire session last time was a distraction to get his abused wife into witness protection. We succeed, he gets royally pissed off, and at the last moment attempts to attack us in a public place with three powerful metahumans. We withdraw, taking the fight to an unpopulated area . . .
- Sensible Master Plans redux (5/29/16) – When working on master plans for both good guys and bad guys, or even talking about courses of action for a team to pursue, make sure that you can answer six questions that show you’re working towards success. Better start by defining success, then . . .
- That was too easy (stories are conflict) (5/26/16) – Everything went our way in S2E7 of the Aeon Campaign. I’ve had that backfire before on me as a GM. When is total success a good game, and when is it boring? Why was THIS smooth sail a ripping success?
- GURPS Day Summary May 20 – May 26, 2016 (5/26/16)
- Aeon Campaign S2E7 – The Best Laid Plans . . . (5/24/16) – Aeon S2E7 has our heroes come up with a plan, execute the plan, and actually overachieve in the objectives of the plan as all the players pitch in successfully to make the plan even better. We spend bucketloads of karma doing so, but in the end, it’s a perfect mission. At least for now.
- GURPS Day Summary May 13 – May 19, 2016 (5/19/16)
- Aeon Campaign S2E6 – Breaking up is hard to do (5/17/16) – In S2E6 of the Aeon Campaign, we continue to investigate Congressman Singleton at the behest of our mostly-criminal associate. We successfully dig up some dirt, are obviously seen doing so, and come to the conclusion we’ve kicked over quite the anthill.
- Reloading Press: .380 ACP (9x17mm) (5/16/16) – The reloading press presents the .380 ACP. When you’re looking for a concealable, accurate pistol, for 100 years the answer was found in the .380 ACP. Still considered one of the lowest-powered ‘acceptable’ self-defense chamberings by some (and dangerously underpowered by others), it’s hard to argue with a weapon you can hide in the palm of a hand!
- GURPS Day Summary May 6 – May 12, 2016 (5/12/16)
- Aeon Campaign S2E5 – Relationship status: complicated (5/10/16) – In S2E5 of the Aeon Supers campaign, we get a visit from an old friend of Eamon’s, a super who suffered extreme injuries in the Riker’s Island breakout. He’s looking for a miracle – fortunately he used to date one, but they’re on the outs. We get a proposition that very much has more to it than meets the eye.
- Reloading Press: .416 Barrett (10.6x83mm) (5/09/16) – If you need to reach out over a mile and touch someone, and have thousands of dollars to spare, consider the .416 Barrett from your platform of choice. It hits for 12d and the right rifle and ammo will deliver basically Acc 7 . . . so this is a serious platform for serious shooters.
- May is GURPSDay recruitment month (5/07/16) – GURPSDay is great – but it could be more. Get the word out, sign up, and generally let’s try and get 100 blogs on the list by the end of May!
- GURPS Day Summary April 29- May 5, 2016 (5/06/16)
- We all have it coming, kid (5/05/16)
- Reloading Press: .224 BOZ (and 10mm APDS) (5/04/16) – After some discussions offline about how to get the most body-armor-defeating punch out of a pistol, I come to the realization that when comparing extreme bottleneck rounds like the .224 BOZ with saboted rounds like the very same cartridge launched from a 10mm APDS . . . you really want the APDS. In GURPS, anyway.
- Aeon Campaign S2E4 – Endgame and near-disaster barely averted (5/03/16) – This session was more or less an exercise in how not to tackle a super-genius super-soldier who has anticipated our every move. Fortunately, the Foresight advantage exists, and I had the Karma points to completely ret-con the situation to our advantage. So victory, but honestly we didn’t deserve it from where I was sitting. This is also my 800th post on Gaming Ballistic
- Aeon Campaign: S2E3 – Rescue (5/03/16) – This is a session report by one of the other players in the Aeon game, since I was in Malaysia. The team diffuses a lot of bombs, and eventually recovers the kidnapped Commander, only to find out that the entire kidnapping was a complete diversionary tactic. Who was the real target? It was . . .
- GURPS Day Summary April 22- April 28, 2016 (4/29/16)
- Lessons from Monteporte (4/24/16) – Two thoughts brought about from a D&D post that have broad applicability. Tangible play-aids help keep track of stuff in ways that a sheet of paper does not. And even player character have a sell-by date . . . or they should.
The Collaborative Gamer (Joseph Linden)
Code by Clockwork (Jeff Demers)
Shane Plays (Shane Stacks)
Don’t Forget Your Boots (Mitch French)
Northport (Denis McCarthy)
Improvised Radio Theatre – With Dice (RogerBW)
Fragments of the Last War (Bryan Timms)
Dark Paths and Wandered Roads (Jason Woollard)
- Sundered Lands 7 (6/09/16) – The heart-pounding conclusion to the battle aboard the Blue Nixie! The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Simple Tricks IV (6/02/16) – The Crew makes their way across the galaxy, brokering shady deals, purchasing cold weather gear and looking for a missing son. On the snowy world of Ando Prime, they find some answers and end up in the crossfire of a gunfight in a snow filled canyon! The continuing saga of the Crew of the Painted S’kytri in our GURPS: Star Wars campaign, Simple Tricks and Nonsense.
- Grand Duchy 81 (5/26/16) – The members of the Grey Company are led to the Traldar village of Ronkan. They are greeted by a warm welcome… and screams in the night! Summary of the latest play session of The Grand Duchy of Adventure, our GURPS: Mystara campaign.
- Sundered Lands 6 (5/19/16) – The Guardians agree to help Lavinia find out what has happened to her ship, the Blue Nixie. Their investigation quickly turns into a blind assault in the harbor. The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Simple Tricks III (5/13/16) – Take Him Home. The crew of the Painted S’kytri take their beloved Captain “home” to Socorro for an honorable burial. They have to make a few stops along the way, though. The continuing saga of the Crew of the Painted S’kytri in our GURPS: Star Wars campaign, Simple Tricks and Nonsense.
- Grand Duchy 80 (5/05/16) – The Grey Company leads the northern charge against the “mutts,” enemies of the lizard riders. The “mutts” have some divine magic on their side… will the Grey Company be able to overcome? Summary of the latest play session of The Grand Duchy of Adventure, our GURPS: Mystara campaign.
- Sundered Lands 5 (4/21/16) – The Guardians of Bletherad meet the person they have been seeking and agree to help her regain her family ship and fortune. The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Grand Duchy 79 (4/15/16) – The Grey Company assist the lizard riders in their foray against the “mutts” of the valley. Summary of the latest play session of The Grand Duchy of Adventure, our GURPS: Mystara campaign.
- Sundered Lands 4.3 (4/12/16) – Seeker and Moonscar slink around the seedy part of Essanos over on the Shadowshore. (part 3/3) The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Sundered Lands 4.2 (4/10/16) – Fortis and Valinya fly across the harbor in search of the local mages guild, the Witchwardens. (part 2/3) The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Sundered Lands 4.1 (4/10/16) – Silver the Dragon (in female Elf form) and Arn the Dwarf (also in female Elf form) secure lodgings for the party. (part 1/3) The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Grand Duchy 78 (4/01/16) – The Grey Company explorers further into the valley, experiences a snakebite, skirts some ruins, gets bugs in their faces, finds some dead bodies and is accused of murder by lizard riding strangers. Another exciting episode of the Grand Duchy of Adventure, our GURPS Mystara campaign.
- Sundered Lands 3 (3/24/16) – The companions finally arrive in the city of Essanos and begin their search for the mysterious blonde girl said to be the key to defeating the Chaos Lords. The newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS: Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Grand Duchy 77 (3/17/16) – The Grey Company cautiously continues their exploration of the quiet valley. Challenges continue to present themselves, but they are overcome. Summary of the latest play session of The Grand Duchy of Adventure, our GURPS: Mystara campaign.
- Simple Tricks II (3/15/16) – The Lambda Heist. The Crew of the Painted S’kytri infiltrate, assault and steal from an Imperial base on a backwater moon. Episode II of our ongoing GURPS: Star Wars campaign.
- Sundered Lands 2 (2/25/16) – The newly reunited Guardians recover from a battle with demons, speak with the dead, catch a ride on ship with some old friends and nearly lose one of their own to a deadly demon disease! The Lopan Aftermath – the newest adventures in the Sundered Lands of Palladium, our GURPS Palladium Fantasy campaign.
- Grand Duchy 76 (2/18/16) – The Grey Company completes another leg of their journey only to begin a new one. At the end of the mountain trail, they pass a blocked gate and enter a quiet, unsettling valley. An undead horde tries to eat Iris and I share a souped up version of Turn Undead. The next installment of our GURPS Mystara campaign.
- Simple Tricks I (2/11/16) – Episode I of our brand new GURPS:Star Wars campaign! The Crew of the Painted S’kytri mourns the loss of a good friend and find themselves in the middle of an old-fashioned cantina shootout!
- Sundered Lands 1 (2/04/16) – The return to our old GURPS Palladium fantasy campaign after quite some time away. The companions meet an old friend and battle some demons!
- Grand Duchy 75 (2/03/16) – The Grey Company deals with hazards from above and below. The rain continues falling and they find a giant, angry lizard in a gorge!
- Grand Duchy 74 (1/28/16)
- Grand Duchy 73 (1/21/16)
- Simple Tricks 0 (1/18/16)
- Grand Duchy 72 (1/14/16)
- Wandered Roads 45 (12/10/15)
Save vs. Hollowing (Anton L.)
Cadiz Redemption (Michael Wolf)
Celti’s Chatter (Patrick Burroughs)
- On Blindness (2/23/16) – In which, the author rejects munchkinism with disadvantages and suggests a limit.
- On Improvisation (2/22/16) – In which, the author GMs by the seat of his pants.
- Holistic Technology (1/29/16) – In which the author takes cyber-physical systems in Altered States to extremes.
- What’s the Frequency, Kenneth? (1/28/16) – In which the author talks about frequency limitations in GURPS.
- An Altered State of Mind (1/25/16) – In which the author discusses GURPS, cyberpunk, world-building, and Altered States.
- GURPS Aging Calculator (1/23/16) – In which the author talks about programming for games and the GURPS aging rules.
The Lands of Nandeme (Charles Saeger)
Let’s GURPS (Pseudonym)
- Session Capture: Bad Company Session 1, Our heroes fight too many pelicans because their boss told them to. (6/09/16) – Pelicans happened.
- Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections (6/09/16)
- Review: Dungeon Fantasy 13: Loadouts (6/09/16) – It’s such a simple idea, but it is astoundingly helpful.
- Math: How To Not Die – Spending Points on HT or HP (6/08/16) – Do I want HT or HP?
- Making A Character: The Ballad of Donna Nesbit and The No-Good Guys (6/07/16) – Walking through the decision making process of building a character.
- Review: Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja (6/06/16) – It promises one thing, and it executes exceptionally on that one thing!
- CER: The Natural Encyclopedia: Breeder – Wolf, Shadow (6/05/16)
- Fundamental: How to Not Die – Advantages and Skills (6/04/16) – An index of important survival advantages and skills for new players.
- Review: Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3: Born of Myth & Magic (6/03/16) – A great list of unique monsters inspired by mythology and insane wizards going too far.
- Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections (6/02/16)
- Review: Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups (6/02/16) – A fun catalog of abilities that I solidly recommend for any Dungeon Fantasy GMs.
- Fundamental: How to Not Die – Active Defenses and Quick Contests (6/01/16) – A summary of the three important active defenses, and three other ways one resists attacks in GURPS.
- Houserule: Piecemeal Attributes (5/31/16) – Where I talk about allowing players to buy attributes in parts.
- Fundamental: How to Not Die – Attributes and Secondary Characteristics (5/30/16) – What attributes and secondary characteristics should I invest in, and why, if I don’t want to die?
- Review: Dungeon Fantasy 10: Taverns (5/29/16) – It is surprisingly good, but still I would say this is a secondary or maybe even tertiary priority when speaking to the “must-have” dungeon fantasy books.
- Fundamentals: Attacking Twice in a Turn (5/28/16) – A list of ways someone can achieve the ability to attack twice per turn.
- Fundamentals: What can I do during combat? (5/27/16) – An index of fundamental combat options for new players. Not all GMs allow all options.
- Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections (5/26/16)
- Review: GURPS Calculator and GCS Integration (5/26/16) – A review of GURPS Calculator, specifically in regards to the GCS integration.
- Skill: Seamanship (5/25/16) – Thoughts on the crewman skill in general, and the seamanship skill in specific.
- Session Capture: Bad Company Session 0, Our Heroes learn to crawl before they learn to walk, and then trip over a waist high bush (5/25/16) – Bad Company Campaign Session 0 Recap.
- Racial Template: Fishmen (5/24/16) – Fish People!
- Random Encounters: Mountain Road (5/23/16) – More combinations of random things to kill or deal with if travelling is stuck in a lull.
- Review: Supporting Cast: Age of Sail Pirate Crew (5/22/16) – A trimmed down Swashbucklers. In a lot of ways, in the vein of simply running a game, it is better, but it is not exactly a surrogate.
- CER: Alternate Dungeons II (5/21/16)
Dice and Discourse (Joseph Mason)
Set Adrift on 3D6 (Conner)
Armin’s GCA 5 Blog (Armin Sykes)
Hard Maths (CTA)
Game in the Brain (Justin Aquino)
Chain Link and Concrete (M. Eversberg II)
The Red Mouser (Gotha)
Mailanka’s Musings (Daniel Dover)
- The Faith of Psi Wars (6/08/16) – A look at what worked and what didn’t with the Force as Divine Favor, what we could do to make Divine Favor look more like the Force, and what Psi-Wars might look like if we let the Divine Favor be Divine Favor.
- The Other Side of Space Faith (6/07/16) – Additional powers for Divine Favor, to make it feel more like the Force, and a look at how the Dark Side might work in a system with Divine Favor
- The Faithful Space Knight (6/06/16) – A look at how Divine Favor works, what 50 points of Divine Favor would get you, and what a Space Knight with Divine Favor might look like
- The Force as Divine Favor (6/05/16) – A look at the pros and cons of using the Divine Favor powers framework as the basis for the Force
- The Tao of Psi Wars (6/01/16) – Having examined several aspects of the Force as Chi, I analyze what worked, what didn’t, how we could change Chi to look more like the Force, and what Psi-Wars might look like if we embraced Chi as written.
- The Five Sides of Space Chi (5/31/16) – Having seen the limitations of Cinematic Skills as a basis for the Force, I take a look at Chinese Elemental Powers as a basis for a Chi-Based Force Framework, as well as examine the elemental associations of Star Wars. Features new powers!
- The Kung Fu Space Knight (5/30/16) – Wherein I examine Cinematic Skills as the basis for the Force, look at what they can do, what they can’t do, and see what 50 points of such skills will get us, as well as what such Space Knights might look like
- The Force as Chi (5/29/16) – Wherein I discuss Daoism and Star Wars and kick off a series where I’ll look at Cinematic Skills and Chinese Elemental Powers as a basis for the Force in Psi-Wars
- The Secret Magic of Psi Wars (5/25/16) – where I take a look at what worked, what didn’t work, with magic, how we can adjust magic to make it work more like the Force, or how we can adjust the Psi-Wars setting to better take advantage of Magic-As-Written
- The Other Side of Space Magic (5/24/16) – Black magic as the Dark Side, Meditative magic as the Light Side, some additional spells divided up between light and dark side, “Psionic Attunement” as enchantment, and the force of DESTINY!
- The Magical Space Knight (5/23/16) – We look Magic-As-Psi, see what the spells look like, what 50 points will get you, and what a space knight using spells might look like
- The Force as Space Magic (5/22/16) – This week, I take a look at the Force as Magic. I discuss the benefits and the problems of such an approach, and I introduce the “Magic as Psi” article, written by David Pulver, as a basis for treating the Force as Magic
- The Mysterious Power of Psi Wars (5/18/16) – I look at the problems that have cropped up in depicting the Force as Psionic Powers, discuss how to adjust psionic powers to look more like the Force, or what Psi-Wars might look like if we tossed the Force out the window and just went crazy with Psionic Powers
- The Other Side of Psi (5/17/16) – We look at how to model the Dark Side of the Force in psionics (though this particular discussion is more philosophical than metaphysical), we look at psionic edge-cases (Anti-Psi, Eletrokinesis, Psychic Vampirism and Psychic Healing), we talk about Psi-Tech in Star Wars, and we discuss how to model some of the more dramatic feats of Star Wars
- The Psionic Space Knight (5/16/16) – Continuing our look at Psionic Powers As the Force, I take a look at the three “prime” psionic abilities: ESP, Telepathy and Psychokinesis. I note particularly appropriate or useful abilities, and discuss what 50 points of those abilities might look like
- The Force as Psionic Powers (5/16/16) – An introduction to the merits and flaws of using GURPS Psionic Powers as the basis for the Psi-Wars version of the Force
- The May GURPSDay Challenge (5/13/16)
- Psi Wars – The Fourth Iteration: Cool Powers and Martial Arts (5/11/16)
- Iteration 3 Retrospective (5/06/16)
- Iteration 3 Playtest Notes (5/04/16)
- Iteration 3 Playtest (5/04/16)
- Battle Bots 1.0 (5/03/16) – Combat robot mooks based on the new robot rules for Iteration 3
- Troopers 3.0 (5/03/16) – Updated Mooks for Iteration 3, including heavy troopers, recon troops, and assault troops
- Kendra Corleoni 3.0 (5/03/16) – Bounty Hunter, Felinoid, Escaped Slave
- Twee Toolaroo, Sparrial Scavenger (5/02/16) – Scavenger, Sparrial, Outcast
Gothridge Manor (Tim Shorts)
Sharrukin’s Palace (Jon F Zeigler)
Cursed -75 Points (BowToChris)
Into the Storydark (Morgrim)
Game Geekery (“Warren “”Mook”” Wilson”)
- Gina Marie’s Gun Emporium (6/08/16) – Something a little different this week– a write-up of a small business, Gina Marie’s Gun Emporium, actually a modern front for gunrunning and selling illegal weapons. Includes a basic map of the premises, details of the locale, and stats for the major NPCs.
- “Beware the Boogeyman,” Post-Con Wrap Up (6/01/16) – A short wrap up of how my “Beware the Boogeyman” game played out at Gamex 2016, differences between the various player groups, and the final version of all the materials for anyone who wants to run it themselves. Also, a second request for Game Geekery questions!
- Off to Gamex 2016 (5/26/16) – Just a quick odds and ends post today, as I’m gearing up for Gamex 2016 tomorrow. A few thoughts on my game, a shout-out to the Strategicon conventions, and a request for your GURPS/Mook questions. Enjoy your long weekend if you’ve got one — see you next week!
- GURPS Calculator (5/19/16) – Today I review all of the awesomeness that is the GURPS Calculator, a must-have web app that helps you track combat attacks, roll dice, calculate a bunch of things on the fly (collision/fall damage, jumping and throwing distances), and more! An absolute gem for GURPS GMs and players.
- Creating “Beware the Boogeyman” – Part 3 (5/11/16) – In Part Three, the final post of “Creating Beware the Boogeyman,” the last three pre-gen PCs are completed, the six encounters written out, and the few remaining details to be done put on a list. Might even have time to playtest this thing before the convention!
- Creating “Beware the Boogeyman” – Part 2 (5/04/16) – In Part Two of “Creating Beware the Boogeyman,” I start shaping some of the broad choices made in Part One into more detailed, game-ready items that can be used to actually run the game at the table… specifically, As another convention approaches, I am hastily prepping my game. This time around it is a tale of the magical protectors who keep children safe from nightmares and evil as they sleep, and I continue the “Adventure Creation” series by talking about how that game goes from the spark of an idea to a ready-to-run adventure.
- Creating “Beware the Boogeyman” – Part 1 (4/27/16) – As another convention approaches, I am hastily prepping my game. This time around it is a tale of the magical protectors who keep children safe from nightmares and evil as they sleep, and I continue the “Adventure Creation” series by talking about how that game goes from the spark of an idea to a ready-to-run adventure.
- Modern Fireteam Quick-Start Characters (4/20/16) – Today’s post offers a four-person fireteam of “Heroic” level Quick-Start soldiers useful as battlefield PCs and/or enemies. Unlike last week’s agents, this is not a covert team! Includes a Team Leader, Sniper, Grenadier, and Automatic Rifleman. Lock and load.
- Modern Agents Quick-Start Characters (4/14/16) – Today I offer up a four-person team of “Heroic” level Quick-Start agents useful as FBI agents, mercenaries, a ring of thieves, etc.: the Face, the Hitter, the Infiltrator, and the Shooter. Enjoy!
- Updated Maps and Other World Mapper (4/06/16) – Today I’m talking a bit about a new mapping program in beta, Other World Mapper, and the new maps I’ve made with it for my Quick-Play Adventures.
Jeffro’s Space Gaming Blog (Jeffro Johnson)
Lost in Technology Again (Bill Barnes)
Southern Style GURPS (Chris Bower)
Just Roll 3d6 (Colin)
- How Broad is Your Wildcard Skill? Using Inventory Rolls to Model Skill Breadth (6/01/16) – This post explores a house rule for determining whether marginally-related skills are really included within a wildcard skill. This approach adapts the inventory roll technique (rolling to see whether a character has a particular piece of equipment) to create a “wildcard breadth check.”
- Template Toolkit 1: Characters Review (5/25/16) – This review of GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters looks at how templates can be used to speed up character creation, as well as how players and GMs can use the templating process to learn more about what makes characters effective.
- Writing Clearer Stat Blocks (5/19/16) – GURPS stat blocks don’t have to be intimidating. In this post, we explore some techniques for making stat blocks more user friendly.
- Keeping Decisions Interesting (5/11/16) – GURPS gives GMs options for how granular the game is. Successful GMs adjust the granularity of their games in order to keep their players’ decisions interesting—not too overwhelming to be meaningful, but also not so simple as to be simplistic. This post introduces the idea of adjusting the granularity to strike that balance.
- Simplify the Game with GM Style, Not Rules (4/19/16) – Just because there are rules doesn’t mean you have to use them. This post shows how your GM style can simplify the game, instead of relying on rules to create simplicity.
- Using Disadvantages to Create Character Hooks (4/12/16) – By choosing disadvantages based on the kinds of dramatic tension you want to create, you can quickly generate interesting characters and suggest plot hooks for your GM.
- Minimalist Character Creation (4/05/16) – Fast character creation in GURPS? Yes, it’s possible! This post explores how to focus on attributes and skills in order to streamline the character creation process.
- Understanding Damage in GURPS Combat (3/29/16) – GURPS’ combat model is based on some specific assumptions. This post looks at those assumptions—as well as how to change those assumptions—in order to make combat work the way that fits your game.
- GURPS Lite Review (3/22/16) – GURPS Lite is a great resource for introducing new players to GURPS. This review looks at what Lite does well, as well as the areas that need more support from Basic Set before players can start playing.
- No Rules Arguments at the Table (3/17/16)
One Yard Hex (Paul Stefko)
No School Grognard (Mark Langsdorf)
Further Up the Spire (Archon Shiva)
5 Stone Games (5 Stone Games)
Insidious GURPS Planning (Mr. Insidious)
T Bone’s GURPS Diner (T Bone)
Ravens N’ Pennies (Christopher R. Rice)
Gentleman Gamer (Raoul)
Shooting Dice (Hans-Christian Vortisch)
Yore (Martin Ralya)
Dungeon Fantastic (Peter Dell’Orto)
Orbital Vagaries (Christian Blouin)