Today is thanksgiving in the USA, so naturally someone asked about a Dire Turkey.
Peter Dell’Orto and I had ridiculous fun writing “Dire and Terrible Creatures” for GURPS, and it occurred to me that I could apply the same kind of thing to SRD5.1 pretty easily. So here’s a “switch” to apply to any kind of Dire Creature you want.
To make a conventional animal into a Dire one, up-gun them as follows:
- Size class increases by one (this will increase the HD type by one as well)
- Add +10′ to speed for all motive types listed for the base animal
- Add 3HD
- If there are any AC bonuses from armor, double them.
- Increase the creature’s stats:
- +5 to STR, or enough STR to double the STR bonus, whichever is higher
- +3 to CON, or enough CON to double the CON bnus, whichever is higher
- +1 to WIS or CHA, GM’s discretion
That should provide a fun challenge.
 Take the AC of the creature and subtract the DEX bonus. Anything left? That’s going to be the bonus from armor or tough hide. Double that. Going from Wolf (DEX +2, AC 13) to Dire Wolf (DEX +2) would double the +1 natural armor to +2, making the final AC 14.
 If the creature is DEX-based, which you will be able to tell because the attack bonus and damage types use the (usually higher) DEX bonus instead, don’t increase STR, boost DEX.