Glorious Playtester Report: Monster Input like a Boss

This is a shout-out to +Emily Smirle .

I fretted about my monsters chapter for Dragon Heresy. It was 91,000 words long, and a whole lot of problems.

Well, I chatted with Em and +GodBeastX , and they noted that the best way to do this was probably a brute scrape of a text file. Turn it into an HTML table.

Well. I thought about that, and how I would do that if I knew how to write code well (I used to know FORTRAN, PASCAL, a bit of MATLAB scripting code, and dabbled in Visual Basic, but not any of the newer languages).

So I used Word’s wildcard files to look for all instances in my Monsters and Foes file that used the “Sub-Topic” style (which is how almost all monster entries are titled), and then replace the monster [Name] with MONSTER – [Name].

That gave a tagged file. I gave Em a format, some rules for conversions based on information contained in the data already (Armor Class converts to Dragon Heresy concepts like so; Hit Points become Vigor; Wounds are calculated like so; etc.).

She went to town, and converted this:

ANCIENT BLACK DRAGON
Gargantuan dragon, chaotic evilArmor Class: 22 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 367 (21d20 + 147)
Speed 40 ft., fly 80 ft., swim 40 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
27 (+8) 14 (+2) 25 (+7) 16 (+3) 15 (+2) 19 (+4)
Saving Throws Dex +9, Con +14, Wis +9, Cha +11
Skills Perception +16, Stealth +9
Damage Immunities acid
Senses blindsight 60 ft., darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 26
Languages Common, Draconic
Challenge 21 (33,000 XP)

Into this below, with a bit of Excel nudging from me. Ultimately, she has taken days of work and turned it into hours. 

3 thoughts on “Glorious Playtester Report: Monster Input like a Boss

    1. For what it's worth, I started completely over with the monster entries, because I realized that doing the same series of "fixes" on the ported-in documents was way better than the series of half-starts on the draft I was working. Now, every one is the same format, with no special cases. With the stat-blocks you provided things are going well, and I hope to have all the monsters done today. Then it's just reorganizing the already-formatted text into the order I have in my old v1.5 draft, with appropriate section heads, and then all of a sudden, monsters are done.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *