Dungeon Grappling Winds Down
I’ve received enough feedback from folks that I know that at least EU and USA hardcopies should have been more than trickling in. If you don’t have yours by the end of this week, please contact me at email@example.com, and I’ll pester DriveThruRPG on your behalf.
Feedback for those that read, review, and use the book continues to be sparse but positive. I’m hoping as folks get their book, use it in games, and write about it online that word of mouth (word of electrons?) will spread and sales will pick up beyond the Kickstarter.
Speaking of sales: two dozen. That’s about how many non-Kickstarter books and PDFs have moved. It went on sale about two weeks ago, so the run rate is on the order of one per day.
Dragon Heresy Ramps Up
As one project ends, another . . . continues. I’d set down my Big Project in order to get Kickstarter experience with Dungeon Grappling. But that’s done now, and I’m digging in hard on Dragon Heresy.
- I’ve got the manuscript done (425,000 words! Likely 750-800 pages)
- I’ve send the manuscript to Ken Hite for editing
- I’ve mostly decided to release it in three books (mostly characters, mostly action/setting, monsters)
- I’m finishing up some preparatory art commissions to help sell the game. You’ll recognize the names (Juan, Gennifer).
- I also have maps, procured a while ago.
- I’ve brought on Michael Clarke for layout, cover design, and cover paintings, after he did a great job with that on Dungeon Grappling. It was a difficult decision, as I attracted some very talented folks for that job.
- I am currently gathering artists . . . and since I’m anticipating 375-425 pieces of color art for the book, I need 20-30 of them if the time from “Kickstarter ends” to “PDF ships” is to be kept reasonable, and by “reasonable” I mean about 18-20 weeks to final delivery.
This book is, as they say, “a big lift.” Maybe $45,000 just to get the game done, and nearly all of that is art. Offset printing will probably run another $30,000 for 1000 copies of each of three books.
More on that later . . . but when I go live with it in probably 6-8 weeks, I’m going to be attempting to recreate the Dungeon Grappling experience: heavy on communication, writing, editing, and layout already done as a pre-investment on my part, and the KS will be to fund the art. Full color from the get-go, this time.
So I’ll be asking for your help again.
Preliminary Dragon Heresy Artwork
As a preview.
Here’s a likely party of adventurers eyeing a longship purchased by our barbarian. (Juan)
Ooo. Failed a saving throw. (Gennifer)
In the halls of the dwarves, a young fighter faces one of his final tests of adulthood. (Juan)
The prayer to the Thunder God, Donnar, is found worthy. (Gennifer)
More to come, in the Dragon Heresy Kickstarter.